Thermage is a non-invasive cosmetic treatment that uses radiofrequency energy to tighten and lift the skin. It is designed to stimulate the production of collagen, a protein that gives the skin its firmness and elasticity. The treatment can be used on various body areas, including the face, neck, arms, legs, and abdomen. It is often used to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, sagging skin, and cellulite. The procedure can take anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours, depending on the area being treated, and patients can typically return to their normal activities immediately following the treatment.
How does Thermage work?
Thermage is a skin-tightening procedure that leverages the power of radiofrequency (RF) energy. Utilizing the Thermacool system, the treatment specifically involves a sophisticated treatment tip known as the Thermatip™. This device is designed to release a controlled amount of RF energy. With each application to the skin, the Thermatip ensures that the deeper layers of the skin and its underlying tissue are uniformly heated, all while the skin’s outer layer remains protected through cooling. This method causes the previously loose and unstructured collagen in the skin to tighten immediately.
As time progresses, the treatment also stimulates the production of new and remodeled collagen. This ongoing process further tightens the skin, leading to healthier and smoother skin, ultimately giving it a refreshed, youthful look. It’s important to note that the results of the Thermage treatment can vary among patients, and not everyone will experience the same degree of effect.
What are the steps involved in Thermage?
Thermage is a skin-tightening procedure that uses radiofrequency (RF) energy to stimulate collagen production and improve the appearance of sagging or loose skin. Here’s a breakdown of the steps involved in a Thermage treatment:
- Preparation: Before the treatment begins, your skin will be thoroughly cleansed. It’s important not to wear mineral makeup, mineral or “pearled” eye shadow, or mineral blush on the day of the treatment. Additionally, you should avoid using tanning products for at least a week before the procedure.
- Setting Up: A special pad with an adhesive backing is placed on your back or leg. This pad is crucial as it completes the “circuit” for the RF energy that will be used during the procedure.
- Mapping the Treatment Area: A paper transfer is used to mark a grid on the area of your face or body that will be treated. This grid ensures that the treatment is both uniform and thorough. It also aids in customizing the procedure, as some regions might require more attention with the Thermatip than others to achieve optimal results. After the procedure, these grid markings can be easily washed off.
- Feedback During Treatment: As the RF pulses are administered, you’ll be asked to provide feedback on the heat sensation you’re experiencing. This is an essential step because it ensures that the right energy levels are being used, and it also ensures your comfort throughout the procedure.
Benefits of Thermage
Thermage offers a range of benefits that make it an appealing choice for those seeking skin rejuvenation. Here are the key advantages of this treatment:
- Immediate Visible Improvement: After just a single session of Thermage, you’ll notice immediate results. Furthermore, these improvements continue to enhance over two to six months as the skin responds further to the treatment.
- Quick Treatment Duration: A Thermage session is relatively brief, usually lasting between 30 to 60 minutes, making it convenient even for those with busy schedules.
- Long-lasting Results: The positive effects of Thermage are not fleeting. Depending on factors like the patient’s skin type, lifestyle, and dietary habits, the benefits can persist for a substantial duration, typically around 1 to 2 years.
- Safe with No Scarring: One of the primary advantages of Thermage is that it doesn’t cause any skin damage or leave behind scars, ensuring that the natural look and feel of the skin are maintained.
- Minimal Recovery Time: Post-treatment recovery is swift, with most individuals able to resume their regular activities almost immediately after undergoing the procedure.
Considering these benefits, Thermage is a reliable, non-invasive method for skin tightening and rejuvenation.
What are the precautions after this treatment?
Following a Thermage treatment, taking certain precautions to ensure optimal results and promote skin health is essential. Here’s a comprehensive guide to post-treatment care:
Moisturize Regularly: Keep the treated skin hydrated by applying Vaseline or Aquaphor at least thrice daily for three to four days. This will soothe irritation and hasten healing.
Protect from the Sun: Steer clear of direct sunlight and tanning beds for at least three days post-treatment. Whenever outdoors, apply sunscreen with an SPF of 50+ to the treated area. Also, consider wearing wide-brimmed hats, large sunglasses, and protective attire.
Limit Activities: Postpone any plans for the beach, spa, or gym for a day. Avoid activities that induce sweating, as well as steam rooms and saunas.
Modify Your Shower Routine: Refraining from hot showers or baths for the first three days. Opt for brief, cool to lukewarm showers. Be gentle when drying, and avoid shaving or scrubbing the treated region.
Steer Clear of Skin Irritants: For at least three days, avoid products that might irritate the skin, like abrasive soaps, scrubs, peels, and prescription topicals such as retinoids. Stick to applying Vaseline, Aquaphor, hydrocortisone 1%, and sunscreen. You can also use makeup if desired but remember to be gentle and avoid scrubbing.
FAQ About Thermage
Who is a good candidate for Thermage?
Thermage is suitable for people who have mild to moderate skin laxity, wrinkles, and fine lines. It is ideal for individuals who want to improve the appearance of their skin without undergoing surgery.
What areas of the body can be treated with Thermage?
Thermage can be used to treat various areas of the body, including the face, neck, arms, abdomen, and thighs. It is effective in treating loose or sagging skin on these areas.
Is Thermage painful?
Thermage can be uncomfortable, but most people report feeling only a mild sensation of heat and pressure during the procedure. The device has a cooling mechanism that helps to reduce any discomfort.
How long does a Thermage treatment take?
A Thermage treatment session usually takes between 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the area being treated.
How many Thermage treatments are needed to see results?
Most patients require only one Thermage treatment to see results. However, in some cases, additional treatments may be necessary to achieve the desired outcome.
What is the downtime after a Thermage treatment?
There is no downtime after a Thermage treatment, and patients can resume their normal activities immediately after the procedure.
How long do the results of Thermage last?
The results of Thermage can last up to 2 years or more, depending on the individual’s skin condition and age.
Is Thermage safe?
Thermage is a safe and effective treatment for skin tightening and rejuvenation. The device is FDA-approved and has been used for over a decade with minimal side effects. However, as with any medical procedure, there are risks involved, and it is essential to discuss these with your healthcare provider before undergoing treatment.
Is there a dermatologist near me in Baton Rouge that offers Thermage?
Yes. At our Baton Rouge dermatology office we offer Thermage to patients from Baton Rouge and the surrounding area. Contact our office today to schedule an appointment.